Updated: Dec 29, 2022
The Trinity refers to the very complex concept that God is one being composed of three
distinct persons. The three persons are the Father, the Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Each person alone is God and constitutes who we call God.
God the Father is the all-knowing spirit and creator of all things, including the heavens, earth, seas and all living things within them. Jesus is the Son of God, the person of God who came to earth as a human to save the world to be redeemed of their sins. The Holy Spirit is the person of God that lives within all believers and is referred as the “Spirit of Truth” and serves as a source of guidance.
The Bible provides insight into the Trinity, below we share a few of the verses in the Bible that reference the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
1. Matthew 28:19 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.”
This verse expressly states Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
2. John 14:16-17, "I will ask the Father and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever – the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him. Because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you.”
Here, Jesus is speaking of the Father and referencing the Holy Spirit as the Advocate.
3. 2 Corinthians 1:21-22, It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and He has identified us as His own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything He has promised us.
There are three clear references to God and the Trinity in this verse.
4. 2 Corinthians 13:14, “may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Here, there is clear indication that God is love, Christ is grace, and the Holy Spirit is fellowship.
5. Luke 1:35, The angel answered “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.
This verse has three clear references to the Trinity.
6. Matthew 3:16-17, As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased.”
In this verse there are three clear references to the Trinity. The Spirit of God or the Holy Spirit came upon Jesus after He came up from the water after being baptized, and the Father in Heaven spoke of being pleased with His Son Jesus.
7. 1 John 5:7-8 And there are three who give testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. And these three are one.
This verse has three clear indicators to the Trinity. The Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. Jesus has been referred to as the Word in other parts of the Bible, including John 1:1-3, John 1:14, Revelation 19:13), and the Holy Ghost is another name referencing the Holy Spirit.
As we can determine from the above
scriptures, God the Father resides in heaven, is all-loving and the Creator who sent the distinct part of His being
(God the Son) to come to be sacrificed for the worlds sin so that we may be united with God in our deaths. God the Holy Spirit is the person of God who resides within believers as has a role in fellowshipping, counseling and guiding us. Each of these persons of God is known as the Trinity and each serves distinct purposes.
For different perspectives and further
elaboration on the Trinity, see the following discussions on the Trinity held by Dr. Frank Turek:
Click the titles below to be directed to the videos.
Blessings and love.
Trinity, Father, Son, Holy Spirit, What is the Trinity, the Trinity explained, God in three parts, God is three in one, one God in Three people, How is God three people in one, God is love, More about God, God as a being explained, Frank Turek, Cross Examined discussion on the Trinity , Amanda Dancea